Monday, March 27, 2006

Homeowners Insurance Concerns

It has been noted by serveral insurance agents in the Greater Baton Rouge area that our homeowner insurance rates will go up in many instances to 40% more than we are currently paying. Part of this will be a tax to help pay for hurricane Katrina rebuilding and part of it will be rate increases for the individual insurance companies to recover some of the costs from this event. I have also been advised that wind damage may not be covered by our homeowners insurance and that coverage would have to come from the FAIR plan - which is pretty expensive. When questioned about what we can do about these rates, I was told the best thing is to raise your deductibe. I personally told my homeowner insurance agent several years ago to flag my file anytime a rate increase occurs. That way I can see how much I have to raise my deductible to keep my premiums reasonable. I suggest that everyone contact their insurance agents to check this out and to stay on top of this so you are not blind sided with a huge new premium.

No comments: